Tuesday, February 22, 2011

gimme some suga'

The misfit has a pretty decent sugar tooth.  She loves fruit.  For awhile that was all she would eat.  Fruit and yogurt.  I was really struggling with this.  Even though she was having what most people would consider "good" sugars I did not want this to be the mainstay of her diet.  So I have been trying to get inventive.  If you haven't looked at the label of your yogurt (or anything processed you eat) you should.  Its amazing the stuff that's in there!  Anyway, the organic baby yogurt I was feeding Margaret had a lot of sugar.  Even the "good, healthy" stuff can pack in the sugar, sodium etc.  Organic does not equal healthy.  I have for the last year been attempting to greatly limit the amount of processed food we eat.  Baby steps here... I do take shortcuts more than I would probably like to admit-but hey I never said I was perfect!  This little shortcut has been a good one for my sugar, yogurt lovin' babe.  I take a high quality, organic plain Greek yogurt(I like Greek yogurt because it is double the amount of protein as regular).  I mash up a quarter of a banana and add strawberry or blueberry puree plus carrot puree(I make the purees ahead of time and keep it in my freezer).  Lastly I stir in some milled flax seed for Omega-3s.  Delicious!  Margaret gobbles it up.

2 comments:

  1. meghan!!
    this looks divine!! keep the ideas coming... graham prefers only yummy milk now but pretty soon i'll be having to get inventive as well! do you ever use turbinado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey momma,
    So glad to see I have a comment from u. I have heard of turbinado. I have not used it. From what I've read it is slightly better than table sugar. I do use honey, maple syrup or stevia for sweetening things up a bit. How's my precious nephew? I need some new pictures of him please :)

    ReplyDelete