Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What is a doula?


our birth doula, Cristy, and I moments after Margaret was born




I get asked this question a lot. Earlier this summer I took the DONA training to become a post partum doula. A post partum doula works in a completely different capacity then a birth/labor doula. A birth doula, like ours pictured above, assists a mother during her delivery. That is the most basic description. Cristy offered much more than this. She answered a lot of my crazy questions during pregnancy, she prayed for Jackson and I and Margaret, and was a calming force before, during and after Margaret's birth. As a post partum doula I will be assisting mother's with the transition of bringing their new baby into their already existing family and routine. I will be helping the mom heal and rest. And making sure that she and her family are well nourished and taken care of. A big part of a post partum doula's role is assisting in breastfeeding. I will be making sure that mom and baby get off to a good start and have the tools to continue successfully after I am gone. Here is a link to the DONA website that explains what a doula is better than I can. http://www.dona.org/mothers/index.php I am planning on getting started this fall when Margaret starts Mother's Day Out at our church. If you know of anyone who is expecting and might be interested in my services please pass along my information. This also makes a great baby shower gift for the mom who is having baby number 2 or 3 and may have all of the clothes and gear already.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to be great at this. Such a wonderful thing for you to do!

    ReplyDelete