Saturday, October 9, 2010

a few things giving me chills this fall


our Jarrahdale pumpkin

It's fall and it couldn't have come sooner. The crisp mornings and the return of the pumpkin spice latte are all things I start anticipating around the end of July. This fall I have found a few new things that are making this years autumn even better than previous ones.


1. Cinderella pumpkins- the last couple of years white pumpkins have been the new fall decoration must have. This is the year of the stackable pumpkins (so the helpful lady at Sweet Pea informed me when I was picking out our pumpkins) Like fashion, layering is key! The Cinderella pumpkin is originally from France and is flat and orange. What girl doesn't need a Cinderella pumpkin? Glass slipper sold separately. I also fell in love with these blue grey colored pumpkins called Jarrahdales. And of course I still got a dozen mini boo's to decorate the dining room with.


2. Kove handmade- this Etsy shop is my new favorite. I just ordered the captain fringe scarf in the grey marble color. This is the perfect accessory for fall in the south. It's a necklace meets scarf creation. Everything in this shop is gorgeous. Side note-if you are a female family member of mine please do not order one of these. You will probably find one under your Christmas tree.


3. Corduroys- Ok, so these are one of my favorite things every fall. I personally feel that corduroys are the Jean's fancy cousin. I just feel a little more put together when I have my cords on. Old Navy has some great fits and colors right now. And of course they are at a great price. I picked up these in a pretty marigold color they call sweet caroline and in a Crimson color(perfect for game day) called Borscht.

4. my grandma's earrings- Covet these all you want ladies they are one of a kind. When my maternal grandmother passed away I was in 4th grade. Even then I had great style (kidding, kidding, I'll scan some pictures so you can see some of my terrible fashion faux pas's from days passed). But all of us girls were lucky enough to get to pick a few things of my grandmothers that we would like to hold on to. My grandma loved fashion jewelry. In particular big chunky pieces. She was definitely ahead of her time in the style department! These earrings my grandfather picked up for her on one of his hunting trips to Alaska (I hope I am remembering this story correctly). They are made of real ivory tusks(now outlawed of course) Remarkably I have held on to them all these years. I can't stop wearing them this fall! I love the delicate flowers-They are gorgeous. And the elephants are perfect for UA game day. Besides being fashionable I love the sentiment behind this jewelry.



5. Mumford and Sons- I have to give credit to my friend Amanda on this one. She had me download this groups album Sigh No More. It is my new fav go to album. I am no music critic but if I had to describe their sound it would be southern rock meets Irish folk. They are not from Ireland, London actually but something about their sound makes me think of the Irish :) Great for a fall drive with the windows down headed to a pumpkin patch!
6. Owls-Again, I must admit that this is not a new obsession of mine. Its not just that I was a Chi Omega (hooty hoot!) I have always loved these mysterious birds. If you look closely around our house you will see a wide-eyed feathery creature peering at you from a corner or two. But now I am nabbing some owl finds for Margaret as well. Like this sweet corduroy dress by Etsy seller Pink Chickadee. Or this adorable painting by Tootie Fash that just by chance matches Margaret's nursery perfectly! If you read my last blog post this painting is the reason I have been trying to butter my husband up. I am hoping it will stay on the wall in Margaret's nursery and not be returned to the artist's home.



4 comments:

  1. love it all. and good call on the mumford and sons - i've been listening to them lately too. great fall music :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! I need you to start emailing me all of your good finds, daily!!! I am going straight to that etsy store now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the flower earrings that were your grandmothers!! That is so special. Also great finds on etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I just stumbled upon your blog and I just wanted to say that I LOVE it!! thank you for posting. I will be back for more updates. :-)

    ReplyDelete