Wednesday, October 6, 2010

bites and burns

My original post today was going to be about making a cooking playlist. I rarely cook anymore and this morning I decided to try out a new recipe. Jackson usually does all of the dinner cooking at our house but for reasons I won't get into right now I felt it would be a good idea to amp up my wifely-ness. So, I found this recipe (which looked like the perfect fall dish) from cooking light and got started prepping everything this morning while Margaret was at mother's day out. Well, as is usually the case, nothing about my day has gone according to plan. First off-peeling, cutting and cubing a butternut squash is a real B@#%$. Forgive my french but at this point in my day that is the only word I can find that truly describes the process. After an hour (and one google search of "how to best chop a butternut squash") I had finished this not so fun task. I had Aretha Franklin blaring on my ipod, the windows in the kitchen open, and was dancing around-having a ball-really enjoying the whole "back in the kitchen" feeling. The only thing missing was a glass of wine but it was only 10am (that's early even for me). The butternut squash needed to cook for 45 minutes or so at 425 degrees. The squash had been cooking for awhile when I realized it was almost time to pick Margaret up. I decided to let it keep cooking I would only be gone for a few minutes. So I get in the car and go to get my sweet baby girl. As I'm getting out of my car- mid conversation with my friend in Atlanta whom I rarely get to talk to-I drop my cell phone and it slides under my car right to the middle. I am parked on the road with my side of the car in incoming traffic. I have to belly crawl under my car, the whole while trying to watch and make sure I don't have my legs run over by other SUV wielding mom's hurrying to pick up their babies. All of this is going on in front of all the other put together moms who always seem to be dressed and make-uped every morning at MDO. I am definitely on my way to making friends here at our church. Finally, with my phone clutched to my chest, I make it into the Sonshine Valley to get Margaret and hurry home to my butternut squash. As I am walking down the hallway to Margaret's room I get stopped by one of the women who head up our MDO program. "Meghan, I'm so glad to catch you! I need to talk to you for a minute." she says. I'm thinking hmmm, maybe she wants me to volunteer or something. how nice! We walk to her office. She starts out, "this is so not a big deal but we are obligated to tell you." I guess she's not going to ask me to volunteer. Sweet MDO woman continues, "Margaret bit someone today in class. Really it happens all the time-do not worry about it. We just have to make you aware." Great. not only am I covered in oil and gravel as she is talking to me I realize that I forgot to brush my teeth this morning. I discreetly cover my mouth and respond "Oh my gosh I am so sorry! Was the other child seriously hurt?" All the while what I am really thinking is please God don't let Margaret get kicked out of your Sonshine Valley. I am just beginning to remember what it was like to kind of have a life. The ever gracious MDO woman replies "The child's arm was a little pink there wasn't any blood drawn. this truly happens all the time." Thank God no blood was drawn! What if word got out that there might be a vampire child roaming Sonshine Valley??? I saw a movie about Vampire children once-it was a Swedish flick-all subtitles-very disturbing. Anyway, I digress. We are in the clear. Margaret can stay-phew. I exit the office continuing to apologize and head to Margaret's classroom. "I'm here to pick up Jaws" I call out as I get to the classroom door. (Always lighten the mood with a good joke) I gather up Margaret and her belongings and we get in the car and head home. As we walk in the door the smell of burnt something assaults us. This is when I remember my butternut squash.

4 comments:

  1. you left out that i saved the day and whisked margaret away to the zoo and you had the afternoon to yourself!!! haha loved today thanks for letting me take her! we had so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!!! thank u thank u! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to write a book! I love how honest and open you are :) Sounds like the family is doing wonderful. Also, check out Sugar Kids Clothing on etsy. She is from Highlands and her clothes are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete